Our purpose in sponsoring the league is to provide Kindergarten - sixth grade boys and girls the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of basketball, to teach them sportsmanship and character, and to share with them the good news about Jesus Christ!
Our league runs December-March. Registration is online, or you may stop by the church office to receive a brochure. Please register early to ensure a spot for your child. Upon registration, you will receive an e-mail with information to schedule your child(ren) for a specific evaluation date and time. Evaluation sign ups will be online. You will be sent the link after your registration has been accepted and is complete.
Important Dates for the 2019 Season:
- Registration-9/10-10/26 Early Registration is 9/10-10/10
- Registration fee is $85/early reg and $100 after October 10
- Practice begins week of November 26
- Games begin January 12
- Closing Program is March 9
Given the size of the league and our goal to balance teams in overall ability level, we are not able to honor requests for placing friends on the same team for carpool needs.
Upward Basketball promotes character in every child by providing:
- Leagues for boys and girls (Kindergarten-sixth grade)
- Equal playing time for every player
- A one-hour practice session and game each week of the season
- An evaluation process to provide equal opportunity for improvement
- Biblically based devotions with coaches who love the Lord.
- And much more!
Every player will receive:
- Reversible Upward basketball jersey
- Upward basketball T-shirt
- Individual awards after each practice and game
- End of the season award
For more details, visit Upward's website.
Basketball Skills Camp
First Baptist Church sponsors a Basketball Skills Camp every summer, typically in July. The cost is $75 per participant. There will be a session for boys and girls entering kindergarten through third grades from 5:15-6:45pm each evening and a session for boys and girls entering fourth through seventh grades from 7:00-8:30pm.
The Skills Camp will be conducted by Coach Scott Flatt. Scott is currently head varsity boys' basketball coach at Covenant Christian High School. He previously spent a year as assistant coach of the Nashville Rhythm, a professional ABA team. He was an assistant varsity boys' coach at Heritage Christian School for five years and assistant men's coach at Baptist Bible College for one year. Scott has also worked with several Indiana Pacers on an individual basis. Scott will be assisted by four coaches.